As promised, an a-line, purple dress designed and made for one of my friends’ one year old baby girl.
Category Archives: sewing projects
Here are the promised photos. I’m not too happy with the hairpieces. Especially the big bow… I couldn’t get it to sit right. But overall… V looks SO cute!!
I guess V is kind of a snob… being the Queen V and all, I felt like keeping Decora classy was the way to go with her. So this is what came out of that. Some beads, a flower pin, a big bow, and a couple of cheap hair pins I purchased. Coincidentally I found a small bracelet that spells out Victoria… I wonder who made it for me… it’s been sitting in my treasure chest for years !!
Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoyed as much as I loved putting this outfit together ^^
I joined the next round of the sewing project on DoA. This time, the theme was Decora girl. I did not like this style too much and do not feel as though it fits any of my girls. I’m more of an Elegant Gothic Lolita fan. I guess you could say its that Victorian-inspired fashion running through my veins. However, I still wanted to join so I decided to tone it down a little bit.
I was very much inspired by this “toned down” Decora outfit:
And I ended up using a pattern I bought here.
These are some of the progress pictures… tun tun tun!!!
I wanted to create a PINK dress since that is very much quintessential Decora. The purple and white fabric at the bottom is actually a scarf that I do not wear because I do not like it, so I decided to upcycle it and make mismatched socks–since this is also a Decora trait.
Tune in again for the finished outfit… I just really need to finish a headband and an accessory to cover up a mistake I made on the dress.
After a long wait a new wig has arrived for V.
You will also notice “wooden floor” in the dollhouse. Now I just need more of it to cover the entire table and something to cover part of the wall.
The last few days I re-made the A-line YoSD dress and am giving it away in DoA in the near future–I don’t feel comfortable charging for my dresses yet as I am still a seamstress in the making and make some mistakes which lower the quality of the dress. I love making them non-the-less, and hope that a YoSD lover out there finds that this dress suits his/her girl beautifully!!
My mission as a seamstress is to inspire a sense of beauty in other BJD owners through my clothes. I want everyone who looks at my dresses to be transported back to a place of childhood dreams come true–in the end, this journey as a seamstress has been just that… a childhood dream come true.
What is your childhood dream?
Who would’ve imagined that the reason the bodice was not fitting was because I was making patterns that were too small?? Only me haha.
I knew I could complete an outfit in a matter of an hour or two… But with the wrong measurements I was not going to get anywhere ^^”.
But I kept at it. I persevered and although the dress did not turn out as planned. It’s still darling.
Sorry for the bad picture. I took it early this morning but the light was bad because the sky was overcast.
What did I learn??
1. Do not give up!! No matter how frustrating the results might seem, perseverance eventually pays off far better than the immediate satisfaction of giving up.
2. A little planning could improve results . I should probably get in the habit of making sketches of how I want the dress to look so that it’s not so much of a surprise that the dress does not turn out how I wanted it.
Simple!! Perseverance and more planning!!
Stay tuned for new outfits as I am joining the next round of the sewing project on DoA!!
For the last couple of days, between work and friends, I managed to make a Yo-SD sized dress form which I have used to draft my very first basic sloper. I followed a couple of YouTube tutorials on draping and managed to work something out.
It’s a work in progress and I’m still trying to adjust it so that the fit is right, but I am very proud of myself for making my own sloper rather than borrowing somebody else’s pattern. Turns out, I loved draping!! Now I’m wondering what other kinds of designs I can draft by draping onto the dress form.
Poor V is still blind. I hope her eyes come in the mail today. In the mean-time, I shall continue sewing and figuring out these patterns. I already have some cute dress designs in mind for V.
I am taking full advantage of this summer break before I have to roll up my sleeves and get to working on my Master’s Thesis. I am very grateful that I’ve been feeling very productive and creative lately, especially this last weekend. It all started on Friday when I moved and re-arranged all of the furniture in my room because I needed a little bit of change. This resulted in a better utilization of the space available in the bedroom and now I get to have my dolly-corner where I can take pictures of my dolls and my work !!
I made a trip to Michael’s and purchased a couple of furniture pieces. But the setting looked so plain against the white background, especially because the table is white too.
After looking through some AMAZING work from BJD doll house artists I decided that the best next thing I could do was to add some sort of wall paper. I wanted something that resembled a romantic Victorian wallpaper. And by Victorian, I meant something that I would find romantic 😉
Vivienne looked beautiful with her old wig:
I just love her, Tae II is such a stunning head mold. This hairdo and the color bring out her features !! And I just absolutely love the quality of the wig. It’s so soft and shiny.