Practice makes perfect

When I first got Valentine six years ago I was still a college student. Thus as you can imagine money was tight and financing my BJD habit hobby was not exactly the easiest. If I remember correctly, Valentine did not have a face up for a couple of months until I had enough funds to send her off to Sakuli all the way in Spain. Then there was the issue of a new wig and new glass eyes, which she probably did not get right away either. What about her clothes?? Well, let’s just say she’s worn that same old white dress that’s featured in previous posts for years!!

Well, thanks to my new sewing machine, Valentine’s fate has changed!!  An earlier post referred to finally putting a new wig on her as well as eyelashes.  Unfortunately, the eyelashes all came off little by little.  Fortunately, the wig stayed on!!  Now, she gets to wear a new outfit that I have almost completed today!!

Look how beautiful she looks!!  She looks like a completely different Valentine!!

As for the dress itself… well, all I can say is practice makes perfect.  I really, really love the outcome!!  I feel so proud of myself.  A feeling I don’t know I’ve had for myself… ever?  I did not use enough fabric for the skirt, and thus makes for an awkward fit; but I love the dress non the less.

I spent six hours on this particular dress and I am just amused at how much time goes by without me noticing because I am so consumed in the act and process of sewing.

We are the time that we dedicate towards working on our dreams” — Paulo Neo.

Continue reading

Advertisements

Mori Girl event–WIP01

Here are the dress sketches for the Mori project as well as some pictures of the materials I will be using.  Enjoy and do share your opinion!!

The sketch on the left is completed, but I’m still trying to come up with ideas on how to layer up Vivienne’s outfit (on the right).  Maybe some bloomers?  Or maybe a free-flowing skirt beneath the dress?

More importantly, I have no idea how I’m going to make a belt or a headband!!! BUT, where there’s a will, there’s a way!!

I bought this tiny, travel iron because I’ve been using a hair iron to press my clothes!!

My tiny work space.  I really need a bigger table/desk and more storage space.

I purchased this set of cute fabrics at Hobby Lobby about a month ago, and I feel like a couple of them are perfect for this project.  I still have to go shopping for more fabric but one of the yellow fabrics is a good start for Valentine’s dress.  The lace in the background is a beautiful lace blouse that I just loved wearing (I LOVE lace), but alas, I’ve gained weight in the last few months so my BJD’s get to wear it now.

Mori Girl event on DoA!

I decided to join a sewing event on DoA! Everyone has created such cute outfits for the first round and I really wanted to join in as this is a group of BJD lovers who are also into sewing clothes for their BJDs. The theme for this second round is Mori Girl. I want to sew a cute dress, so I went pinterest-crazy and downloaded all these cute pictures for ideas on what to work on.

Kawaii!! My princesses ♚ would totally rock the Mori Girl style!

Vivienne is finally wearing the semi-completed outfit from the previous post !!

Eyelashes for my Valentine

Since Vivienne got home, all my attention has been focused on her and I have neglected Valentine a little bit.  The last couple of weeks I decided I needed to work with Valentine too and that a make-over was long over due.  Eyelashes and a new wig would be the perfect first step!

I finally decided to use a wig that I exchanged with one of my friends several years ago.  I never used this wig because it’s too big for her head, but after playing around with it for a while, the wig turns out to look great.

Valentine has not had eyelashes for years !!

So I set out to Target and purchased a set of individual fake eyelashes and eyelash adhesive.

I had forgotten how tedious it is to glue the eyelashes onto the eye socket.  And putting the eyes back in place without messing up the eyelashes turned out to be quite the challenge.  Also I found that the glue would peel off some of the details of her face-up.  If you’re going to purchase/use Ardell Lash Adhesive, be very careful with the face up.

Several hours later I was able to complete the look and I absolutely love how she looks with eyelashes.

Although the eyelashes are a little messed up, she looks stunning and more mature !!  I’d love to fix the eyelashes but right now I’m exhausted from belly dancing class this morning and my honey should be on his way.  Maybe later I can make a new dress for Valentine.